VocalEspoo Festival has announced an international choral composition competition 2018 together with the choirs Tapiola Choir, Spira Ensemble, EMO Ensemble, Female Choir KYN and YL Male Voice Choir. The aim of the competition is to find new and interesting compositions for children’s choirs, mixed choirs and male voice choirs. The results of the competition will be published during the opening concert of VocalEspoo Festival, June 3, 2018, where the best compositions will be performed and awarded. The prize money, 15 000 euro, will be divided between the winners according to the jury’s decision. The members of the jury are Kaija Viitasalo, Cecilia Damström, Kari Turunen and Pasi Hyökki.
RULES OF THE COMPETITION:
1. The organiser of the competition is Espoo Music Festivals Association together with Tapiola Choir, Female Choir KYN, Spira Ensemble, EMO Ensemble and YL Male Voice Choir.
2. The competition is open to all nationalities with no age limit. The number of submissions is not limited but each submission should be under separate pen name. The participation fee is 50 Euro for each composer regardless of the number of submissions. Payment should be transferred to Espoo Music Festivals IBAN: FI60 8000 1770 8312 96, BIC: DABAFIHH. Reference: Surname, first name & date of birth. Participation fees are non-refundable.
3. The last date of submission is 31 January 2018 at 24.00 (UTC +3). Any entries that reach the Competition Office after that date will be disqualified.
4. Categories: Children’s choirs (SSA), women choirs (SSAA), male choirs (TTBB) and mixed choirs (SATB). The composition may be either an a cappella or an accompanied (max. 5 musicians) piece. The instruments that may be employed are those of a symphony orchestra, big band, rock band and the computer.
5. The composition must be previously unperformed and unpublished, and its duration is to be between 4 and 8 minutes. The text of the composition may be sacred or secular and in any language. If the text is not in the public domain, and the composer is not the author and copyright holder of the text, it is the responsibility of the composer to obtain permission from the copyright holder before the application deadline.
I) The real name and contact details related to the pen name should be included in the e-mail cover letter so that this information is disclosed to Competition Office only.
II) The following documents should also be attached in the e-mail:
- The composition in electronic pdf-format, submitted under a pen name
- A copy of passport or identity card of the participant
- Receipt of the payment
- Signed statement by the composer declaring that any score submitted is unpublished, has never previously been performed, and has never been awarded a prize in any previous competition. The competitors are required to inform the Competition Office immediately if the composition will be published, performed or awarded during the competition (5.10.2017-3.6.2018).
7. The jury will deliberate on the works to be awarded during February 2018 and will submit the works for rehearsal to selected choirs. The choirs will begin rehearsals at the beginning of March 2018, by which time the rehearsal material must be complete and available.
8. All the composers will be informed individually in April whether their works will be awarded. The awarded works will be performed and the prizes will be presented at the opening concert of the VocalEspoo Festival at the Espoo Cultural Centre’s Tapiola Hall on 3 June, 2018. The names of non-winners will not be made public.
9. The composer is responsible for collating the rehearsal and performance materials. The practice material handed out to the choirs must also only include the pen name of the composer.
10. The prizes, totalling at €15,000, will be awarded at the discretion of the jury. The jury reserves the right to not to distribute all prizes. Broadcasting fees will be included in the prizes. Prizes will be subject to Finnish tax laws. Sulasol (The Finnish Amateur and Musicians´Association) is willing to publish the awarded works.
11. Jury: Artistic director of VocalEspoo Festival, choral conductor Mr. Pasi Hyökki, choral conductor Mr. Kari Turunen, choral conductor Ms. Kaija Viitasalo and composer Ms. Cecilia Damström, one of the prize winners at VocalEspoo Composition Competition 2016. The jury’s decision is final.
12. The winners will be invited to attend the final concert on 3 June, 2018. The organizers will not cover any accommodation and travelling expences of the competitors.
13. The organizers of the competition reserve the right for the first performance of the competition entries until 31 January 2017. The organisers will have the right to record, video, televise, photograph and broadcast the opening concert (award ceremony). The copyright ownership is retained by the winning composer.
14. Participation in the competition implies full knowledge and acceptance of these regulations.